Crazy Court Calls
by ATP Staff|
Past and present ATP physiotherapists tell of the most bizarre court calls they have received...
Jeff Tarango once hid a $20 bill in the towel and asked me if I could go and get him a beer because he was playing so badly and only a beer would help. When I said that I could not, he said, "keep the $20 anyway".
Humphrey Hose, from Venezuela, split his shorts in Davis Cup because his butt was too big. And he needed a new pair.
During a Davis Cup tie, umpire Frank Hammond fell asleep in the chair and I slipped an ammonia capsule under his nose to wake him.
Guga Kuerten once called me out and asked for a pair of scissors. He wanted to cut a lock of hair that was dangling from his forehead and distracting him during play.
Richard Krajicek once asked me out onto the court during a final and his excuse was to tape his little finger. But what he really wanted to know was the standing of the Formula One Grand Prix race being held at the same time.
I was once called to the court because a player had been stung by a bee on his behind through his shorts.
I got called to court because a player had some food stuck in a tooth and wanted a tooth pick.
Once a player wanted to stop playing the match because he was "mentally" exhausted.
I was called during a doubles match because the player wanted some ChapStick for his chapped lips.
I went to a court for a doubles match, when one player had hit his partner by accident and caused a really bad cheek laceration that needed six stitches.
I was called onto Stadio Pietgrangeli in Rome, which is very far from our office. I ran for a long time and arrived only to be asked, "Do you have a nail clipper?" This guy could and should have cut his nails before going on court but sometimes they wait for us to do it.
A few players have had sore lips and have asked me for Vasseline.
While I was treating a player during a match, they wanted to know the Super Bowl score.
- Deuce 2013
- Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012
- Roland Garros - Wimbledon 2012
- Ferrero Retirement Tribute
- Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011
- Roddick Retirement Tribute
- US Open 2012
- Federer No1
- Nadal Roland Garros
- Nadal Grand Slam
- Nadal Masters 1000
- Australian Open 2012
- Nestor 800
- Federer 15 Quest
- Djokovic No1
- US Open 2011
- US Open 2010
- US Open 2009
- Roland Garros - Wimbledon 2011
- Roland Garros & Wimbledon 2010
- Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2010
- Bryans Record Weeks At No 1
- Bryans Doubles Teams Record
- Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2009
- DEUCE Australian Open 2011
- Australian Open 2010
- Roland Garros & Wimbledon 2009
- Australian Open 2009
- Finals 2008
- US Open 2008
- Roland Garros 2008
- Australian Open 2008
- Finals 2007
- US Open 2007
In This Issue
- Scoreboard and Calendar
- Project 45 No Longer a Secret
- Tributes to a Legend
- Shark Bites
- The Last Time... David Ferrer
- ATP World Tour Begins New Dawn
- Murray Muscles His Way Into ATP Elite
- Ivo Karlovic: More Than Just a Serve
- Bryan Brothers Remain Doubles' Dynamic Duo
- Making History in a Hurry
- You Can Quote Me On That... If You're Quick