VALENCIA OPEN 500
Ferrero To End Career In Valencia
by ATP Staff|
Former World No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero announced Wednesday that he will play his final tournament at the Valencia Open 500, which celebrates its 10th anniversary. The 32-year-old Ferrero has been hampered by a number injuries the past two seasons.
“The Valencia Open 500 will be my last tournament, it’s the best possible stage for me to retire,” said Ferrero. “Because of injuries, I was not able to play a full season and it’s been a complicated year as I could see I didn’t have the same ambition after 14 years on the tour.
“I am very excited about my new life and new projects. I will of course still be involved with tennis through the Valencia Open 500, the academy and my foundation.”
His best season came in 2003, when he won his first major title at Roland Garros and became the first Spaniard since 1975 to reach the US Open final. Ferrero's showing in New York enabled him to become the 21st player to ascend to the top of the South African Airways ATP Rankings. That year, Ferrero won a career high 67 matches and at the time, joined Ivan Lendl as the only player since 1980 to win at least 30 matches on both clay and hard courts. The Villena resident also thrived in Davis Cup, leading Spain to its first title in 2000 by winning his two singles rubbers against Patrick Rafter and Lleyton Hewitt to clinch victory over Australia.
“My greatest memories include the Davis Cup in 2000 because I realised the impact it had on the country, but it’s true that for a tennis player, to win a Grand Slam or become world No.1 is the most important achievement,” said Ferrero. “I will miss the competition tremendously. It will leave a void which will be difficult to replace.”
Ferrero has won 15 titles from 33 finals, including ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crowns in Rome (2001) and Monte-Carlo (2002-2003). He reached the quarter-finals or better at all four Grand Slam tournaments. His latest triumph came at the MercedesCup in Stuttgart last year (d. Andujar).