If Stockholm Open
Nishikori Upsets Eighth Seed; Hrbaty & Lapentti Progress
by ATP Staff|
Following a slow start to the match, Nishikori earned the only break of serve in the second set and converted on all three of his break point chances in the decisive set to defeat Granollers in one hour and 49 minutes.
The 18-year-old came into the week ranked a career-high No. 77 after reaching the third round at his home country event last week in Tokyo (l. to Gasquet). Nishikori won his first ATP title in February at Delray Beach (d. Blake).
The former No. 12 (October 18, 2004) is returning to Stockholm for the first time since losing in the first round on his 1999 debut (l. to Vinciguerra). Playing in an ATP main draw for the sixth time this season,
Ecuador’s Nicolas Lapentti also progressed to the second round, edging past Spaniard Ivan Navarro 3-6, 7-6(7), 7-5. The former World No. 6, who is currently No. 78 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings, improves to 15-16 for the season, highlighted by a semifinal exit at Costa do Sauipe (l. to Moya) and a quarterfinal effort at Masters Series Cincinnati (d. No. 4 David Ferrer, No. 12 Fernando Verdasco; l. to No. 2 Nadal).
- Kermode Presents Top 10 Trophies In Toronto
- Berdych, Nishikori Watch Manchester United In Washington
- Tennis Meets Manchester United In Washington D.C.
- Raonic, Nishikori Power Into Third Round
- Wawrinka, Nishikori Reach Wimbledon Second Round
- Kei Nishikori Targets Strong Grass Swing; Top 5 Emirates ATP Rankings Goal