Granollers-Martin Find Immediate Success
Buenos Aires, Argentina
by ATP Staff|
First-time Spanish team Marcel Granollers and Alberto Martin found immediate success on the ATP World Tour, defeating Nicolas Almagro and Santiago Ventura 6-3, 5-7, 10-8 in the Copa Telmex final in Buenos Aires.
Granollers captured his second straight title after winning his first ATP World Tour doubles title last week at Costa do Sauipe (w/Robredo). Martin, who improves to 3-3 in ATP World Tour doubles finals, was appearing in his first final since winning the title in Amersfoort in 2006 (w/Vicente).
Martin said: "It was a good match. It is great to play with Marcel. He is such a good player. We are happy to have won the title in our first tournament together. It is actually funny the way we decided to play here in Buenos Aires. I was originally going to play with Daniel Gimeno-Traver, but minutes before the final cut we were one out of the draw. Ivan Navarro, that was supposed to play with Marcel, and is very good friend of Daniel, proposed to change the teams so we all could get in. The rest is history."
Granollers said: "It feels good to win a second ATP World Tour doubles title in back-to-back weeks. Beto (Martin) is a good friend of mine and it was fun to play with him this week."
- Nadal Commits To Play Copa Claro
- Peya/Soares, Marrero/Verdasco Qualify For SFs From Group B
- Ferrer Vies For Fourth Valencia Crown; Bryans Aim For 11th Title Of Year
- Dodig/Melo & Granollers/Lopez Qualify For Final Showdown
- London Contenders Isner, Haas Win Openers In Shanghai
- Del Potro Edges Almagro In High-Quality Tokyo SF; Plays Raonic For Title