Internazionali BNL d'Italia
Federer, Djokovic Among Those To Remember Luzzi
by ATP Staff|
Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic led an all-star cast of ATP World Tour players who played exhibition matches at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia Sunday to raise funds for FedeLux, a leukemia foundation established in the memory of former player Federico Luzzi, who died of the disease last year aged 28.
Federer, Djokovic, Tommy Robredo, Marat Safin, Potito Starace, Andreas Seppi, Simone Bolelli and Filippo Volandri took part in the exhibition, which was attended by Luzzi’s parents Maurizio and Paola.
Federer said: “It was a nice match for me to play, knowing that Federico is up above watching us, having his parents here.”
Djokovic, who wore a shirt with an image of Luzzi, said: “We played in his honour and for the foundation that his family has created to fight against leukemia. It was very emotional for all of us who knew him. He was a very positive guy and I always remember him with a smile on his face.”
The Internazionali BNL d’Italia , the fourth ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament of the year, begins main draw play Monday.
- Djokovic Stars With David Letterman
- Ice, Ice Djokovic Completes #IceBucketChallenge
- Federer To Return To Barclays ATP World Tour Finals For Record 13th Straight Year
- Djokovic, Nadal, Federer Nominated In #IceBucketChallenge
- Federer Holds Off Ferrer For 80th Title, Sixth In Cincinnati
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner Returns To Winston-Salem