Internazionali BNL d'Italia
Federer, Djokovic Among Those To Remember Luzzi
by ATP Staff|
Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic led an all-star cast of ATP World Tour players who played exhibition matches at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia Sunday to raise funds for FedeLux, a leukemia foundation established in the memory of former player Federico Luzzi, who died of the disease last year aged 28.
Federer, Djokovic, Tommy Robredo, Marat Safin, Potito Starace, Andreas Seppi, Simone Bolelli and Filippo Volandri took part in the exhibition, which was attended by Luzzi’s parents Maurizio and Paola.
Federer said: “It was a nice match for me to play, knowing that Federico is up above watching us, having his parents here.”
Djokovic, who wore a shirt with an image of Luzzi, said: “We played in his honour and for the foundation that his family has created to fight against leukemia. It was very emotional for all of us who knew him. He was a very positive guy and I always remember him with a smile on his face.”
The Internazionali BNL d’Italia , the fourth ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament of the year, begins main draw play Monday.
- Federer, Tiger Woods Are Most Financially Valuable Athletes
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner, Youzhny, Fognini Headline
- Federer Meets Lindsey Vonn On 'Top Of Europe' In Lindt Challenge
- FedEx ATP Performance Zone: Hard Court Heavyweights
- Djokovic's Wedding Features In Hello! Magazine
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Ferrer Leads Hamburg Field