Gonzalez Posts Win On Opening Sunday
by ATP Staff|
Argentine World No. 74 Maximo Gonzalez beat Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, a Spanish right-hander ranked No. 70 in the South African Airways 2009 ATP Rankings, 6-4, 6-3 in one hour and 38 minutes at the Estoril Open on Sunday. It was the only main draw singles match of the day.
Gonzalez recorded his first tour-level win since reaching the Buenos Aires quarter-finals as a qualifier (l. to Monaco) in February.
The 24 year old, who will next meet either 2002 and 2006 champion David Nalbandian or Paul Capdeville in the second round, has won two ATP Challenger Tour titles in Chile at Iquique (d. Hormazabal) and Santiago (d. Zabaleta) this season. He has a 4-3 record on the 2009 ATP World Tour season.
The 20th edition of the ATP World Tour 250 clay-court tennis tournament, staged at the Estadio Nacional, features five players – Gilles Simon, Nikolay Davydenko, David Ferrer, James Blake, David Nalbandian – in the Top 20 of the South African Airways 2009 ATP Rankings. Juan Carlos Ferrero, the 2001 winner, and 2005 titlist Gaston Gaudio also feature in the main draw.
- Wawrinka Beats Ferrer For Portugal Open Crown
- Gonzalez/Lipsky Win First Trophy As Fathers
- Ferrer To Face Wawrinka For Crown; Oeiras Pays Tribute To Brad Drewett
- Ferrer Remains On Course For Oeiras Title; Wawrinka Into SFs For Second Straight Year
- Wawrinka Battles To Win; Elias Breaks New Ground
- Robredo Celebrates 31st Birthday With Fans