Gonzalez Posts Win On Opening Sunday
by ATP Staff|
Argentine World No. 74 Maximo Gonzalez beat Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, a Spanish right-hander ranked No. 70 in the South African Airways 2009 ATP Rankings, 6-4, 6-3 in one hour and 38 minutes at the Estoril Open on Sunday. It was the only main draw singles match of the day.
Gonzalez recorded his first tour-level win since reaching the Buenos Aires quarter-finals as a qualifier (l. to Monaco) in February.
The 24 year old, who will next meet either 2002 and 2006 champion David Nalbandian or Paul Capdeville in the second round, has won two ATP Challenger Tour titles in Chile at Iquique (d. Hormazabal) and Santiago (d. Zabaleta) this season. He has a 4-3 record on the 2009 ATP World Tour season.
The 20th edition of the ATP World Tour 250 clay-court tennis tournament, staged at the Estadio Nacional, features five players – Gilles Simon, Nikolay Davydenko, David Ferrer, James Blake, David Nalbandian – in the Top 20 of the South African Airways 2009 ATP Rankings. Juan Carlos Ferrero, the 2001 winner, and 2005 titlist Gaston Gaudio also feature in the main draw.
- Gonzalez Upsets Estrella Burgos In Sao Paulo, Nears Top 100 Return
- "All The Hard Work Has Paid Off" For Gonzalez: Challenger Tour Finals Preview
- ATP Challenger Tour Finals Field Set
- Challenger Weekly Spotlight: Kavcic Denied Third Straight Title By Soeda
- Challenger Weekly Spotlight: Young Guns Carreno And Kyrgios Triumph
- Berlocq Rallies To Stun Berdych In Oeiras Final