Interwetten Austrian Open Kitzbuhel
Vassallo Arguello Makes Strong Start
by ATP Staff|
Fifth-seeded Argentine Martin Vassallo Arguello got off to a winning start on opening Sunday at the Interwetten Austrian Open Kitzbuhel, defeating Belgian Christophe Rochus 6-2, 6-4 to reach the second round at the ATP World Tour 250 tennis tournament.
Vassallo Arguello, who had retired in his first round matches at Barcelona and Munich due to back problems, snapped a four-match losing streak as he converted four of his nine break point chances during the one-hour, 20-minute match.
The 29-year-old Vassallo Arguello broke into the Top 50 of the South African Airways ATP Rankings for the first time earlier this season after reaching the semi-finals at the clay-court event in Acapulco (l. to Almagro).
He next faces Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, who eased past Germany’s Bjorn Phau 6-3, 6-2 in the only other main draw match Sunday. Garcia-Lopez has reached three ATP World Tour quarter-finals this year, most recently at the clay-court tournament at Houston (l. to Hewitt).
- Rosol Turns Grief To Glory For First Title
- Rosol Reaches First Final In Bucharest; Garcia-Lopez Tops Mayer
- Simon To Challenge Rosol In Semis; Tipsarevic Falls
- Kohlschreiber Hits Slopes To Announce Kitzbuhel Participation
- Djokovic Untroubled To Start Defence; Garcia-Lopez Fights Past Monaco
- Haase Retains Kitzbühel Title