Harrison Awarded Australian Open Wild Card
by Press Release|
Harrison earned the first Grand Slam main draw berth of his career with a surprise 6-4 6-1 6-3 victory over No.1 seed Jesse Levine.
Formerly a top junior player, Harrison turned pro aged 15, reaching the second round of his only ATP World Tour event to date as a qualifier at Houston in 2008. He won two Futures events in the USA in 2009 and reached the final of a third.
Now 17 years old, Harrison recorded some impressive results during the past weekend’s eight-man playoff, beating No. 3 seed Alex Kunetsov and No. 2 seed Donald Young en route to the final.
Under a reciprocal arrangement with Tennis Australia, the USTA awards one male and one female player wildcards into their respective Australian Open main draws. Under this agreement Chris Guccione and Olivia Rogowska received wildcards into the 2009 US Open.
Part of Tennis Australia’s December Showdown, the Australian Open Play-off, which awards one Australian male and one female player Australian Open main draw wildcards, will be streamed live from 14-20 December, 2009.
- Watch: Harrison Helps Tangled Fish In First-Round Match
- Watch Acapulco Hot Shot: Harrison's Great Reflexes
- Watch Hot Shot: Karlovic, Harrison Pushed To Limits
- Djokovic Makes History At Australian Open
- Brain Game: Djokovic's Mid-Match Adjustment The Key
- Djokovic Evolution Continues With Fifth Australian Open Title