Luczak, Lindahl Awarded Sydney Wildcards
by Press Release|
Australian Davis Cup player Peter Luczak and Australian Open wildcard play-off winner Nick Lindahl have both been awarded wildcards to the Medibank International Sydney, set to get underway on Sunday 10 January at Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre.
Tennis Australia national selectors granted Luczak, currently Australia's No. 2 player at world No. 77, and New South Welshman Lindahl wildcards into the men's field leaving just one wildcard remaining.
"It's great to see Peter getting back into top 100 and coming back after his hip injury," Davis Cup coach and national selector Todd Woodbridge said.
"He is a real work horse for Australian tennis and shows so many of the younger players what is achievable with hard work and dedication. He thoroughly deserves this opportunity at the Medibank International Sydney."
Victorian Luczak reached a career-high ATP World Tour ranking of No. 64 in October this year after winning three ATP Challenger titles in Furth, Poznan and Cordenons.
30-year-old Luczak said he was thankful to receive the opportunity to match it with the world's best at the Medibank International Sydney.
"I'm really grateful to Tennis Australia for awarding me with a wildcard for Sydney," Luczak said.
"I've worked hard all year and got to my highest ranking. I am looking forward to some tough matches in Sydney and hope it will provide a good preparation for the season ahead."
Woodbridge said that Lindahl's performance in the Australian Open wildcard play-off showed selectors that he was deserving of the opportunity to play in Sydney.
"By winning the wildcard play-off, we've seen Nick show a new maturity in his game and a real turn around in attitude," Woodbridge explained.
21-year-old Lindahl, who hails from Eleebana in NSW, said he was relishing the opportunity to play in front of his home crowd.
"I feel like I have definitely earned my spot in the draw after the Australian Open wildcard play-off," Lindahl said.
"It means the world to me that the selectors believe in me and have given me this opportunity. I will certainly be making the most of it."
Tournament Director Craig Watson welcomed the two Australian additions to the main draw.
"It's fantastic to have both Peter and Nick in the men's draw, along with our Australian No. 1 Lleyton," Watson said.
"The Medibank International Sydney crowds are always very patriotic and I have no doubt they will get right behind them.
"Peter has played at the Medibank International Sydney for a number of years and came very close to qualifying last year so it is great to have him back in the main draw.
"It's also a great opportunity for a local player like Nick to be able to face the world's best players and do it at a world-class venue in his home state."
Luczak and Lindahl join Hewitt, Gael Monfils, Tomas Berdych and Marcos Baghdatis in the men's field for the 2010 event, whilst the star-studded women's line-up features nine of the world's top ten women led by Serena Williams as well former world No. 1 Justine Henin and Aussie pair Sam Stosur and Casey Dellacqua.
Tickets to the Medibank International Sydney 2010, including the popular $9.90 ground pass, are on sale now through Ticketek and can be purchased online at www.ticketek.com.au or 1300 888 104.
The Medibank International Sydney will be held at Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre from Sunday 10 January to Saturday 16 January 2010.
- Troicki Triumphs Over Kukushkin In Sydney
- Bopanna/Nestor Win First Title In Sydney
- Kukushkin, Troicki To Contest First All-Qualifier ATP World Tour Final In Sydney
- Del Potro: "I Did More Than What I Expected" In Comeback
- Kukushkin Ends Del Potro's Sydney Run; Troicki Reaches Semis
- Pospisil, Nestor Play Microphone Roulette