Tennis Is Most Positive Sport, According To Poll
by ATP Staff|
A poll of 1,400 sports fans, conducted by Barclays Spaces for Sport, has revealed that tennis is recognised as producing the most positive global sports role models.
Five-time ATP World Tour Champion Roger Federer was voted top male sports role model with 18 per cent of the votes, while former tennis player Steffi Graf was the top female role model with 20 per cent.
The poll also revealed that sportsmanship (66 per cent), health and fitness benefits (57 per cent), teaching discipline and abiding by rules (60 per cent) are all considered more significant benefits of playing sport than actually winning (22 per cent).
Eighty-one per cent of those polled felt that sport was 'very important to society'.
Learn more about Barclays Spaces for Sports. Established in 2004, the community sport programme has created 200 sustainable sports sites across the UK in partnership with the Football Foundation, as well as sites and projects in South Africa, Zambia, the United States and Spain.
- Rosol Advances To Kitzbühel QFs, Heavy Rain Dents Schedule
- Nadal Withdraws From Toronto, Cincinnati
- Hewitt Defeats Matosevic In Washington; Tomic Falls
- Tennis Meets Manchester United In Washington D.C.
- Goffin Extends July's Run Of Form; Melzer Loses Kitzbühel Opener
- Querrey, Johnson, Sock Win Washington Openers