ATP World Tour Doubles - Week 32
Canadian Wild Cards Defeat Djokovic-Nadal
by ATP Staff|
Canadian wild cards Vasek Pospisil and Milos Raonic made a memorable ATP World Tour debut, overcoming the world's top two singles players, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, 5-7, 6-3, 10-8 on Monday night at the Rogers Cup in Toronto.
Pospisil and Raonic won the final three games of the second set, and immediately gained control in the Match Tie-break by rolling out to a 4-0 lead. They earned four match points at 9-5, and after seeing Djokovic and Nadal erase three of those opportunities, finally succeeded in closing out the win in one hour and 34 minutes.
Djokovic and Nadal were making their partnership debut, marking the first time in more than 30 years that the top two players in the South African Airways ATP Rankings were teaming up in doubles action. World No. 1 Jimmy Connors and No. 2 Arthur Ashe played together in 1976, reaching the quarter-finals in North Conway and the final in Washington.
- New Teams Make Impact In Opening Weeks Of Season
- Kubot/Lindstedt Stun Bryans In Group A Clash
- Three Doubles Teams Qualify For London
- Pospisil/Zimonjic Capture Basel Crown
- Rojer/Tecau Clinch Eighth Team Title Of Year In Valencia; Boost London Chances
- Melzer/Petzschner Return To Winners' Circle In Vienna