Hanley-Luczak Win Gold Medal For Australia At Commonwealth Games
by ATP Staff|
Paul Hanley and Peter Luczak won the doubles gold medal for Australia at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi on Saturday night after they defeated England’s Ross Hutchins and Ken Skupski 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 at the RK Khanna Tennis Stadium.
“We didn't want to be standing there, listening to the English anthem, so I think that's what got us through,” Luczak said. “We're so happy, we're just pumped."
Hanley added, "We took our chances, got a lucky break too I guess. We just enjoyed ourselves too, we didn't get too stressed. We always told each other, let's just keep having fun, no matter what happens."
After a tight start to the final, the Australians broke serve in the seventh game and went on to serve out the opening set. Hutchins and Skupski fought back to take final to a deciding set. Hanley and Luczak took a 3-0 lead in the third set, but were pinned back, before securing the gold medal for Australian on their second match point.
Hanley and Luczak disappointed local fans by beating top seeds Bhupathi and Paes 6-2, 6-2 in the semi-finals.
- Bryans Lead Seeded Teams Through To Third Round
- First-time Partners Melo/Robredo Claim Brisbane Title
- Lu/Udomchoke Win Bangkok Title
- Cermak/Knowle Save 4 M.P. To Capture Kitzbühel Title Over Brown/Hanley
- Blake/Querrey Triumph In Houston; Brown/Hanley Lift Casablanca Trophy
- Mahut/Roger-Vasselin Lift Montpellier Trophy; Gil/Gimeno Traver Win Vina del Mar Crown