Former World No. 1 Moya Retires From Professional Tennis
by ATP Staff|
Former World No. 1 Carlos Moya has announced his retirement from professional tennis at the age of 34. The Spaniard has been troubled with a persistent right foot injury and informed media at a press conference on Wednesday afternoon that the injury has forced him to call time on his illustrious 15-year career.
Moya played his last match on the ATP World Tour at the Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open in May, when he suffered a heavy defeat to German Benjamin Becker. It was at that moment, he acknowledged, that the time had come retire after doctors had been unable to settle on an effective course of treatment for his foot.
“I wanted to play the big tournaments and say goodbye but I got to the Madrid tournament and I still wasn't 100 per cent. I am still young for life but for sport, I am already knocking on a bit," said Moya. "I realised with that match that the moment had arrived. It's not how I dreamed of ending my career."
The Spaniard plans to bow out at a tournament in Seville next month.
During his career, Moya amassed 20 tour-level titles, including the 1998 Roland Garros trophy (d. Corretja). A year earlier he had finished runner-up at the Australian Open (l. to Sampras). On March 15, 1999, the Mallorcan became the first Spaniard to rank World No. 1 in the history of the South African Airways ATP Rankings (since 1973) after reaching the final at the BNP Paribas Open (l. to Philippoussis) in Indian Wells. He held the top spot for two weeks.
In December 2004 Moya played a pivotal role in Spain’s Davis Cup triumph, posting wins over Mardy Fish and Andy Roddick in the final in Seville. He also competed in the elite eight-man field at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals five times, reaching the final in 1998 (l. to Corretja in five sets).
Looking to the future, Moya said: “I'll keep on with my gym in Mallorca. I have a sports business and I'll dedicate more time to my wife, my daughter and my family. But I'll definitely miss tennis."