DOUBLES NEWS 2011
Bryans Closing In On Third Straight Title
ATP World Tour 2011 Season: Week 16
by ATP Staff|
World No. 1 duo Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan reached their third successive ATP World Tour final on Saturday as they defeated fourth seeds Lukasz Kubot and Oliver Marach 6-3, 6-4 at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell.
The Americans came into Barcelona, an ATP World Tour 500 clay-court tournament, after winning back-to-back titles on clay at Houston (d. Isner-Querrey) and Monte-Carlo (d. Chela-Soares). They improved to a 10-match winning streak.
After needing Match Tie-breaks to advance through their first two matches, the Bryans were more comfortable against Polish-Austrian duo Kubot and Marach. The top seeds saved the three break points they faced and broke serve once in each set to seal victory in 72 minutes.
The Bryan twins, who won the Barcelona crown in 2003 and 2008, will play for their third title at the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona 1899 against Mexico’s Santiago Gonzalez and American Scott Lipsky. The first-time pairing of Gonzalez and Lipsky upset second seeds Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor 7-6(4), 6-4 in 77 minutes.
Defeat left the 38-year-old Nestor on 798 tour-level doubles wins. The Canadian had been hoping to reach the 800 wins milestone by winning the Barcelona title for a fifth time.
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel
- Dodig/Melo & Granollers/Lopez Qualify For Final Showdown