ROLAND GARROS 2011
Djokovic One Victory From World No. 1
by ATP Staff|
World No. 49 Fognini withdrew from the quarter-final clash with a left thigh injury, sustained during his five-set win over Albert Montanes of Spain on Sunday.
"I have a small muscle tear and the doctors have decided that I should not play tomorrow," said Fognini, who was the first Italian man to reach the Roland Garros quarter-finals since Renzo Furlan 1995.
"It's really difficult. I am finally in Paris playing against Djokovic tomorrow and he hadn't lost like 40 matches in a row. It's difficult because it's the best tournament of my career, but I think it's the best solution."
Should 24-year-old Djokovic book his place in the Roland Garros final be would become No. 1 in the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings next week. The only way Rafael Nadal can retain his World No. 1 ranking is if he wins the title and Djokovic loses before the final.
Djokovic has compiled a 41-0 match record on the year. He has won 43 consecutive matches dating back to the Davis Cup final in December.
- Djokovic-Murray On US Open QF Collision Course; Ferrer In Federer's Half
- Djokovic Stars With David Letterman
- Ice, Ice Djokovic Completes #IceBucketChallenge
- Djokovic, Nadal, Federer Nominated In #IceBucketChallenge
- Djokovic: 'I Expected More From Myself'
- Djokovic Playing With Extra Incentive In Cincinnati