Montanes Rules Mercedes-Benz Test Track
by ATP Staff|
Sergiy Stakhovsky, Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, Radek Stepanek and last year’s MercedesCup winner Albert Montanes tested the new SLK roadster on the Mercedes-Benz factory test track in Sindelfingen, outside Stuttgart, on Tuesday.
The test track includes a two and a half kilometer long circular route with two steep curves and an irrigated skidding plate. Very few people outside of the development division of Mercedes-Benz have the opportunity to enter and drive at the track, normally a ground for experimental vehicles.
“We as players love the cars, love the speed,” said Stepanek. “To have this chance to have the track for ourselves, try to do the crazy stuff, it’s definitely special and we’re all enjoying it.”
After a couple of warm-up laps the ATP pros places took part in a close race for the fastest lap, where all four players finished within two and a half seconds of each other. Defending Stuttgart champion Montanes scored the fastest lap.
“Because you’re in a convertible car, you feel the unbelievable speed, you feel the sun. It’s amazing,” said Garcia-Lopez.
Stakhovsky added, “It’s really one-of-a-kind. For me it’s the first time, so it was really enjoyable.”
In addition to the prize money the winner of the MercedesCup traditionally receives a Mercedes-Benz vehicle. This year’s bonus is a Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 BlueEFFICIENCY in diamond white metallic.
- Challenger Spotlight: Montanes Celebrates Eighth Title
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Chases Career Golden Masters
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Headlines Toronto Field
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Berdych Goes To Washington
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner, Youzhny, Fognini Headline
- Challenger Spotlight: Lu Wins 21st Title; Muller Adds Fifth Of 2014