BRD NASTASE TIRAC TROPHY
Brazilian Souza Upsets Robredo
by ATP Staff|
Brazilian 23 year old Joao Souza continued his breakout season on the ATP World Tour with an upset win over former World No. 5 and sixth seed Tommy Robredo in the first round of the BRD Nastase Tiriac Trophy in Bucharest Monday. Souza saved five of the seven break points he faced in a 6-4, 7-6(5) win.
Souza, who advanced from qualifying to reach the Kitzbuehel semi-finals in his most recent ATP-level clay-court appearance, is already at a career-high No. 84 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings and looks likely to push higher this week. Souza won the Santos Challenger on home soil April and also reached the final of the Zagreb Challenger in Croatia in May. Six of Souza’s nine ATP-level wins have come this season.
In the only other main draw match Monday, Portugal's Frederico Gil rallied from a set down to defeat Frenchman Jeremy Chardy 2-6, 6-4, 6-3. It was Gil's first win over Chardy in their four career meetings. Chardy, a former World No. 31 who now finds himself outside the Top 100, slipped to a 6-15 record on the year.
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Berdych, Raonic Headline Clay Contests
- Dimitrov Clinches Bucharest Crown; Second Title Of 2014
- Tecau Clinches Bucharest Treble With Rojer; Huta Galung/Robert Win In Barcelona
- Dimitrov To Play Defending Champion Rosol For Bucharest Crown
- Dimitrov Remains On Course In Bucharest; Monfils Saves Six M.P.
- Monfils Opens Campaign; Haase Sets Istomin Clash