ATP World Tour Doubles 2011 - Week 38
Bracciali-Starace Claim Bucharest Title
by ATP Staff|
Knowle and Marrero served leading 6-5 in the final set match tie-break before the Italians turned the tide to take an 8-6 lead. The Roland Garros quarter-finalists held on to clinch the championship in one hour and 25 minutes, winning their first title together since hoisting the trophy in St. Petersburg last year. "Today the match turned in our way because of two points. Even if I'm more of a singles player winning a title is always a beautiful experience." said Starace.
"I arrived here really tired after the Davis Cup in Chile. But I didn't want to withdraw because of my partner Daniele Bracciali and since I thought we had a chance to win our first round I tried my best and it worked. After that I still wasn't a 100 per cent because of the long trip but we played well."
The title gives Bracciali his third of the season with three different partners, after triumphs in 's-Hertogenbosch with Frantisek Cermak and Kitzbühel with Santiago Gonzalez. Starace is in the winner’s circle for the first time this year. Both notched their fifth career titles.
Knowle fell to a 13-16 doubles final record with the loss, while Marrero dropped to a 2-3 mark.
Murray and Sa won 75 per cent of their service points and broke the Frenchmen three times to lock up the win in one hour and 13 minutes. In the final, the two will face No. 2 seeds Lukas Dlouhy and Marcelo Melo.
- Garcia-Lopez Fends Off Vesely For Bucharest Crown
- Home Favourites Copil/Ungur Save 5 M.P. To Win Bucharest Doubles Title
- Vesely To Face Garcia-Lopez In Bucharest Final
- Gimeno-Traver Beats Simon In Bucharest; Monfils Sets Garcia-Lopez Clash
- Simon Overcomes Tipsarevic; Monfils To Face Bolelli In Bucharest QFs
- Nadal, Ferrer, Granollers Mix With Spanish Football Stars