GERRY WEBER OPEN 2012
Federer, Berdych Commit To 2012 Gerry Weber Open
by ATP Staff|
Next year's 20th anniversary Gerry Weber Open will boast one of the strongest fields in its history after announcing Thursday that Roger Federer, Tomas Berdych and Gael Monfils would join Rafael Nadal at the event. "In all the conversations I have held with the players, it has been confirmed to me once again that our tournament for them is an important mark in their schedules," said tournament director Ralf Weber.
Federer, who endorsed a lifetime contract with the event two years ago, is a five-time champion, and Berdych triumphed in 2007 when he defeated Marcos Baghdatis in the final. "The ambience always is particularly inspiring for me," Berdych told Weber. "The stadium is awesome and the enthusiasm of the audience is very emotional. Nevertheless, I am able to prepare for the upcoming tournaments in a laid-back ambiance. This is important specifically for 2012, since Wimbledon will be followed by the Olympic Games in London."
Weber also received acceptance from 15th-ranked Monfils. The Frenchman will aim to win his first grass-court title when he competes in Halle. "He will produce a real big bang one day," stated Weber. "Because of fellows like him, that’s what we need in tennis and at the Gerry Weber Open."
World No. 2 Nadal signed a three-year commitment to play the tournament earlier in the week.
- Djokovic, Federer, Nishikori, Raonic Lead Storylines As 2014 Year-End Emirates ATP Rankings Are Published
- Rivalries 2014 - Federer vs. Wawrinka
- Federer: “This One’s For The Boys”
- Federer Adds To Legacy, Helps Switzerland Clinch First Davis Cup Crown
- Federer/Wawrinka Hand Swiss Advantage In Davis Cup Final
- Monfils Blasts Past Federer To Keep France's Davis Cup Hopes Alive