BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL 2012
Dolgopolov Makes Winning Start
by ATP Staff|
Third seed Alexandr Dolgopolov made a successful start to his 2012 ATP World Tour campaign on Sunday as he defeated Colombian Alejandro Falla 7-6(3), 6-2 in the first round of the Brisbane International.
The Ukrainian, who broke through in January last year with a run to the Australian Open quarter-finals (l. to Murray), broke serve five times from nine opportunities to close out the straight-sets victory over Falla in 81 minutes.
Australian wild card James Duckworth made his ATP World Tour debut with a 6-4, 6-4 win over No. 80-ranked Nicolas Mahut of France. World No. 275 Duckworth converted four of his seven break point chances for victory in 71 minutes and goes on to face either second seed Gilles Simon or Ryan Sweeting.
World No. 4 Andy Murray warmed up for his debut as the top seed at the ATP World Tour 250 hard-court tennis tournament by teaming up with Marcos Baghdatis for first-round doubles win. The first-time pairing defeated Santiago Giraldo and Kei Nishikori 6-2, 6-2 in 53 minutes.
- Murray Retains Brisbane Title; Dimitrov Climbs to Career-High Ranking
- First-time Partners Melo/Robredo Claim Brisbane Title
- Brisbane, Chennai Sunday Briefing
- Dimitrov Reaches First ATP Final; Plays Murray For Title
- Doha, Brisbane, Chennai Saturday Briefing
- Murray Sets Nishikori SF; Baghdatis To Face Dimitrov