AIRCEL CHENNAI OPEN 2012
Tipsarevic Tops Soeda; Raonic Eyes Prize
by ATP Staff|
Top seed Tipsarevic defeated Japanese qualifier Go Soeda 6-1, 6-4. He won the first five games, before World No. 120 Soeda was more competitive in the second set. Tipsarevic was broken at 3-2, but then won a 16-minute game at 3-3 before going on to clinch victory in 80 minutes.
Fourth seed Raonic, who received the 2011 ATP Newcomer of the Year award, defeated second seed Nicolas Almagro of Spain 6-4, 6-4 in 73 minutes for a place in his third ATP World Tour final.
Raonic hit 10 aces and dropped four points on serve in the 35-minute first set. The 21 year old went onto convert his second break point opportunity at 30/40, 4-4 in the second set, before saving three break points in the next game. He struck 17 aces overall to snap a five-match losing streak against Top 10 opponents (4-8 overall).
- Raonic Ready To Bring His Best When It Matters
- Nishikori Wins Tokyo Crown, Improves London Chances
- Watch Raonic Conjure Behind-The-Head Hot Shot
- Raonic Fires Into Third Straight Tokyo Final; Improves London Chances
- Raonic Meets His Robot
- Raonic Leapfrogs Ferrer In London Battle; Plays Simon In Tokyo SFs