ATP WORLD TOUR 2012 - WEEK 1
Paes-Tipsarevic Capture Chennai Trophy
by ATP Staff|
Paes lifted the Chennai title for the sixth time with his 48th tour-level doubles trophy, while Tipsarevic made up for defeat in the singles final (l. to Raonic) by capturing his first team title.
"I know how difficult it is mentally to play two finals on the same day," said Paes. "The way he [Tipsarevic] prepared for both the finals, it was impeccable. He epitomises what an athlete should be."
Tipsarevic admitted, "I had a very hard pre-season. I have that every year. Fitness in general is one of my strength. I love playing with someone who loves to ask me something but also to give something."
The Indian-Serbian team share $21,800 in prize money and 250 ATP Doubles Team Rankings points, while Erlich and Ram earn a cheque for $11,480 and 75 points.
Paes and Tipsarevic took a 3-0 lead, with two breaks of serve. They won 18 of their 28 service points in the 35-minute first set.
The teams exchanged breaks of serve at the beginning of the second set. Ram lost his serve to 30 at 4-4, which handed Paes an opportunity to close out victory in 74 minutes.
- Bolelli/Fognini Give Italy Lifeline; Switzerland Leads 2-1
- 100 Team Titles: A Remarkable Achievement
- Brunstrom/Monroe Fight Back To Clinch Bastad Crown
- Kowalczyk/Sitak Capture Stuttgart Crown
- Peya/Soares Reach Semi-finals At Queen's
- Klizan/Oswald Cruise To Nice Doubles Crown; Gonzalez/Lipsky Remain Perfect