Weekly Snapshot: Three Of The Big Four In Action
by Matt Fitzgerald|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with our Weekly Snapshot, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who’s Playing This Week?
Three ATP World Tour 250 events launch the 2012 season this week, in Doha, Brisbane and Chennai.
Qatar ExxonMobil Open: The draw in Doha features three Top 10 players, which includes No. 2 Rafael Nadal, No. 3 Roger Federer and No. 6 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Federer won the event last year, but opens with Nikolay Davydenko in a rematch of the 2011 final.
Facebook | Twitter
Brisbane International: World No. 4 Andy Murray makes his debut in Brisbane and is joined by 12th-ranked Gilles Simon, World No. 15 Alexandr Dolgopolov and 2009 champion Radek Stepanek, who is seeded sixth.
Facebook | Twitter
Aircel Chennai Open: Two Top 10 stars lead the field in Chennai – No. 9 Janko Tipsarevic and No. 10 Nicolas Almagro. Third-seeded Stanislas Wawrinka looks to defend his title, and could play home favourite Somdev Devvarman in the second round.
Facebook | Twitter
Player To Watch: Radek Stepanek
Stepanek enters 2012 on the back of his sixth Top 30 finish in 2011, highlighted by a title triumph in Washington over then-World No. 7 Gael Monfils at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic. The Czech is playing the Brisbane International for the fourth time, and has been the tournament’s most consistent player since its inception. He captured the title in 2009 in the debut event, finished runner-up in 2010 (l. to Roddick) and reached the semi-finals last year (l. to Soderling). Stepanek will begin his season by playing rising Australian Matthew Ebden.
WEEK IN REVIEW
Top Tweets: Players Celebrate New Year
Follow On Twitter This Week: @AlexDrBogomolov
This 28 year old begins the 2012 season in Doha, where he is the sixth seed. Though he’s a relative newcomer to Twitter, Bogomolov Jr. has quickly become a regular Tweeter.
Most Popular Facebook Post on Facebook.com/ATPWorldTour
In response to asking what fans wanted to see on the ATP World Tour in 2012, these answers were unlike any other wishes…
Edgar C. Rodriguez: "For cloning to be made legal so that our favorite tennis players maybe brought back in their primes to have one big tournament."
Stephen Murtagh: "Lleyton Hewitt to have an injury free year. Come On!"
Terina Perkins Moffett: "It’d be great to have everyone healthy again...loved the great tennis we saw earlier in 2011!"
Jaime Estrada Zambrano: "A riveting French victory at French Open (Tsonga, Gasquet) over the likes of Nadal, Federer, Djokovic! Its time for some variety and they play with such flair!!"
Salvador Guerrero: "See my name on the ATP ranking."
Video Of The Week
Andy Murray took a ride down the Brisbane River on a CityCat ahead of his debut at the Brisbane International.
• Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer played tennis on a candlelit court to help kick off the 2012 season in Doha. Federer: "It was dramatic, romantic."
• Andy Murray appointed eight-time major champion Ivan Lendl as his coach. Murray: "He was very honest and that was important."
• Novak Djokovic defeated David Ferrer 6-2, 6-1 to win the $250,000 winner-take-all prize at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi. Djokovic: "I am really happy with the way I'm playing."
Tip Of The Week
Each week, we’ll provide you with a tip on how to get the most out of ATPWorldTour.com. This week, we’ll show you how to view any result from the Open Era.
Example: 1983 Grand Slam Event Results
1. In the navigation bar, mouse over the 'Scores & Stats' tab and click on the 'Results Archive from the drop down menu.
2. Under the Results Archive header, change the left box to '1983', and switch the right box to 'Grand Slam'.
3. The results and draws from the four major tournaments will be displayed.
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign up here!
- Djokovic's Rare, Costly Slip v. Federer
- Nishikori, Lopez Tweet Career-High Ranking Excitement
- Querrey Meets New Match On "Millionaire Matchmaker"
- Re-Live Thrilling Week Of Milestones; Players Shift Focus To Davis Cup
- Challenger Spotlight: Gombos Soars To Maiden Title In Cherbourg
- Team USA Supports Berger In Glasgow On Quest For Honda Classic Title