AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2012
New Dad Bhupathi Teams With Bopanna For Win
by ATP Staff|
Mahesh Bhupathi celebrated the birth of his baby daughter Saturday by teaming with fellow Indian Rohan Bopanna for a 6-2, 6-2 win over Carsten Ball and Treat Conrad Huey, Saturday on Rod Laver Arena. The fourth-seeded Bhupathi and Bopanna needed two breaks of serve in each set to clinch the 58-minute victory.
Bhupathi, a three-time Australian Open finalist, made the announcement Friday on Twitter, writing, “ITS A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @DuttaLara. I Love u....”
Second seeds Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor advanced to the third round with a 7-6(0), 6-2 win over the Colombian duo of Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah. Mirnyi and Nestor, semi-finalists last year in Melbourne, edged their opponents in a 49-minute opening set and then capitalised on their two break point chances in the second.
Sixth-seeded Poles Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski, who finished runners-up to Mirnyi and Nestor at the 2011 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, defeated Spaniards Pablo Andujar and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-3, 7-5 in their second-round match.
They will face No. 11 seeds Frantisek Cermak and Filip Polasek for a place in the quarter-finals. Cermak and Polasek, finalists last week in Auckland, rallied to get by Russians Mikhail Elgin and Alexander Kudryavtsev 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
- Wu Di Wins Australian Open Wild Card
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel