OPEN SUD DE FRANCE 2012
Berdych, Monfils Reach Montpellier QFs
by ATP Staff|
Berdych dropped 12 points on serve - saving all three break points he faced - and hit nine aces. It was his first match since reaching the Australian Open quarter-finals (l. to Nadal).
The Czech will next challenge France's Nicolas Mahut, who knocked out sixth seed Florian Mayer of Germany 7-6(3), 6-3 in 83 minutes. It was their first meeting in almost three years, since the 2008 Sony Ericsson Open in Miami.
The Frenchman won this ATP World Tour 250 tournament in October 2010 in its inaugural year in Montpellier (d. Ljubicic).
Monfils will play eighth seed Jarkko Nieminen for a place in the semi-finals after the Finn defeated French wild card Paul-Henri Mathieu 7-6(4), 6-1. Nieminen claimed his second ATP World Tour title last month in Sydney (d. Benneteau).
- Big-Serving Monfils Surges Past Gasquet For Montpellier Trophy
- Davydenko/Istomin Win Montpellier Doubles Title
- Gasquet, Monfils Set Up All-French Final In Montpellier
- The Last Time... With Gael Monfils
- Gasquet To Face Janowicz In Montpellier SFs; Monfils, Nieminen Advance
- Gasquet, Monfils Reach Montpellier QFs; Simon Upset