ATP WORLD TOUR 2012 - WEEK 9
Fleming/Hutchins Save MP To Win Delray Beach Trophy
by ATP Staff|
Third seeds Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins battled past Michal Mertinak and Andre Sa 2-6, 7-6(5), 15-13 in the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships final Sunday, saving match point to win their first title of the season.
The British pair won nine fewer points than Mertinak and Sa, but kept pace with them in the Match Tie-break. They denied the Slovak/Brazilian duo a match point at 11-10, before clinching the final victory in just under two hours. “It was like an emotional rollercoaster really," said Fleming. "We managed to come up with big points when we needed them today."
Hutchins praised his partner for keeping them in the match at the critical junctures of the final two sets. "Colin always amazingly makes these shots and he keeps saying he’s lucky, but it’s not, and he did that again today."
Fleming and Hutchins improved to 12-5 on the season and captured their second team title. They triumphed at the St. Petersburg Open last October.
Mertinak and Sa were appearing in their third consecutive final, having finished runner-up at the Brasil Open 2012 in Sao Paulo (l. to Butorac/Soares) and Copa Claro in Buenos Aires (l. to Marrero/Verdasco).
- Peya/Soares Open Monte-Carlo Campaigns; Nestor/Zimonjic Into QFs
- Bryans Extend Winning Streak, Reach Monte-Carlo QFs
- Czech Republic Reaches Davis Cup SFs; Great Britain Closes On Historic Victory
- Bryans Retain Indian Wells Title
- Ross Hutchins Named Queen's Tournament Director
- Cilic Survives Anderson Test For Delray Beach Crown