MEDIA NOTES 2012
Friday Preview - Nadal, Djokovic In Doubles Action
by Greg Sharko|
It's all doubles on Stadium 1 Friday but Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Mardy Fish and Andy Roddick are just some of the singles stars in action in those doubles matches - the World No. 1, two former No. 1s and America's No. 1.
• The first match sees Serbian duo Djokovic and Viktor Troicki face Spanish duo Marcel Granollers and Feliciano Lopez; Djokovic has 29 ATP World Tour level singles titles (including two at Indian Wells) but has just one ATP World Tour doubles title, at Queen's Club in 2010, and will look to make a good start to his campaign again today.
• The second match features the American pairing of Fish and Roddick face German-Finnish duo Florian Mayer and Jarkko Nieminen; Fish and Roddick have both won multiple ATP World Tour doubles titles, Fish eight and Roddick four - more importantly they have won two together, on the clay courts of Houston way back in 2002 and right here at Indian Wells in 2009; they are both singles finalists here as well (Fish in 2008 and Roddick in 2010).
• The last match features Spanish pairing Nadal and Marc Lopez against the tournament's No. 3 seeds, Michael Llodra and Nenad Zimonjic; like Djokovic, Nadal is a two-time singles champion here (2007 and 2009) but he is also the 2010 doubles champion here, alongside his partner this year, Lopez (they have won three ATP World Tour doubles titles together); there's a reason Llodra and Zimonjic are the No. 3 seeds though - they have won five titles together since the start of 2011, including an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown in Montreal last summer.
| TV Schedule | Buy Tickets
• FORMER TOP 3 STARS IN ACTION – While Stadium 1 will be filled with Top 10 singles stars, the outside courts will feature a trio of former Top 3 ranked players:
• In the opening match on Court 7, former World No. 2 Tommy Haas, who is the oldest player in the draw at 33 years, 11 months (turns 34 on Apr. 3), takes on Jarkko Nieminen of Finland for the first time in nearly 10 years. Haas is 2-0 and their last meeting came in the quarter-finals of Long Island in August 2002.
• In the next match on Court 7, former World No. 3 Nikolay Davydenko of Russia takes on Ukrainian qualifier Sergei Bubka for the first time. Davydenko is 6-6 in Indian Wells and his best result is the fourth round in 2007. Davydenko, a winner of 21 career titles, finished in the Top 10 on the ATP World Tour for five straight years from 2005-09.
• In the second men’s match on Stadium 2, another former No. 3 David Nalbandian of Argentina brings a 4-0 career mark against Italian Potito Starace. Nalbandian, who is 11-11 in finals, is 13-8 lifetime in Indian Wells and his best showing is the quarter-finals in 2008. He also finished in the Top 10 for five years in a row from 2003-07.
AMERICAN UPDATE – Americans went 3-4 in first round action in the top half of the draw on Thursday. On Friday, there are four more Americans in action – wild card Denis Kudla, qualifier Bobby Reynolds, Ryan Sweeting, and Donald Young. Three other seeded Americans – No. 8 Mardy Fish, No. 11 John Isner and No. 30 Andy Roddick are in the top half of the draw and open second round play on Saturday.
FRIDAY FIRST ROUND FEDEX ATP HEAD 2 HEADS – In Order of Play by Court
Jeremy Chardy (FRA) vs Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) Chardy Leads 3-0
09 Delray Beach (U.S.A.) Hard QF Jeremy Chardy 7-6(7) 7-6(3)
10 ATP Masters 1000 Toronto (Canada) Hard R64 Jeremy Chardy 7-5 2-6 7-6(4)
10 ATP Masters 1000 Shanghai (China) Hard R64 Jeremy Chardy 7-6(4) 6-1
Potito Starace (ITA) vs David Nalbandian (ARG) Nalbandian Leads 4-0
08 Buenos Aires (Argentina) Clay QF David Nalbandian 4-6 7-6(5) 6-4
08 Acapulco (Mexico) Clay QF David Nalbandian 6-3 6-3
10 Buenos Aires (Argentina) Clay R32 David Nalbandian 6-2 7-6(2)
11 Buenos Aires (Argentina) Clay R32 David Nalbandian 6-4 6-4
Xavier Malisse (BEL) vs (Q) Bobby Reynolds (USA) Reynolds Leads 1-0
08 Delray Beach (U.S.A.) Hard R32 Bobby Reynolds 6-2 4-6 6-3
09 Brisbane Q (Australia) Hard -- Bobby Reynolds 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3
Donald Young (USA) vs Steve Darcis (BEL) First Meeting
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) vs Tommy Haas (GER) Haas Leads 2-0
02 Roland Garros (France) Clay R32 Tommy Haas 6-3 7-5 2-6 6-4
02 Long Island (USA) Hard QF Tommy Haas 3-6 6-4 6-2
Nikolay Davydenko (RUS) vs (Q) Sergei Bubka (UKR) First Meeting
Bernard Tomic (AUS) vs Gilles Muller (LUX) Muller Leads 1-0
09 Australian Open (Australia) Hard R64 Gilles Muller 3-6 6-1 6-4 6-2
11 Nottingham CH (Great Britain) Grass SF Gilles Muller 6-3 6-4
Michael Llodra (FRA) vs Ernests Gulbis (LAT) Gulbis Leads 2-1
08 Roland Garros (France) Clay R16 Ernests Gulbis 6-4 7-6(4) 6-3
11 ATP Masters 1000 Montreal (Canada)Hard R32 Ernests Gulbis 6-4 1-0 ret
12 Australian Open (Australia) Hard R128 Michael Llodra 2-6 6-1 6-2 6-2
07 Heilbronn CH (Germany) Hard SF Michael Llodra 6-3 6-4
Ivan Dodig (CRO) vs Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) Dimitrov Leads 1-0
11 Bangkok (Thailand) Hard R32 Grigor Dimitrov 6-2 7-5
10 Bangkok-2 CH (Thailand) Hard R32 Grigor Dimitrov 4-6 6-2 1-0 ret
(Q) Marinko Matosevic (AUS) vs (Q) Ruben Bemelmans (BEL) First ATP Meeting
09 US Open Q (U.S.A.) Hard -- Ruben Bemelmans 6-3 ret
11 Nottingham CH (Great Britain) Grass R16 Marinko Matosevic 6-4 6-4