SONY ERICSSON OPEN 2012
In-Form Spaniards Beat Lindstedt/Tecau
by ATP Staff|
Spaniards David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco, winners of two ATP World Tour doubles titles this year, defeated fourth seed Robert Lindstedt and Horia Tecau 7-6(5), 6-2 on Friday for a place in the Sony Ericsson Open second round.
Marrero and Verdasco, titlists at the Copa Claro in Buenos Aires (d. Mertinak-Sa) and the Abierto Mexicano Telcel in Acapulco (d. Granollers-M. Lopez), saved all four break point they faced, hit seven aces and lost 14 points on serve for victory in 80 minutes.
Australian Open champions Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek broke serve five times in a 6-2, 7-6(3) win over Marcos Baghdatis and Sam Querrey. Leaders in the ATP Doubles Team Rankings Race To London, Paes & Stepanek last week lost in the quarter-finals of the BNP Paribas Open to eventual champions Marc Lopez and Rafael Nadal.
Marcelo Melo and Juan Monaco held their nerve to save six of eight break points for a 6-3, 3-6, 14-12 victory over American wild cards James Blake and Ryan Harrison in 83 minutes. Brits Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins topped Mardy Fish and Mark Knowles 6-1, 7-6(5) in 82 minutes.
- Peya/Soares Open Monte-Carlo Campaigns; Nestor/Zimonjic Into QFs
- Bryans Extend Winning Streak, Reach Monte-Carlo QFs
- ATP Trainer Bill Norris Honoured By Tennis Hall Of Fame
- Brain Game: Djokovic Breaks Down Nadal Forehand
- Djokovic Denies Nadal To Claim Miami Crown
- Dominant Djokovic: How The Miami Final Was Won