DAVIS CUP WORLD GROUP QUARTER-FINALS 2012
Cilic Wins Marathon For Croatia; Tipsarevic Stars For Serbia
by ATP Staff|
A round-up of the two Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group quarter-final ties on Friday.
ARGENTINA 1, CROATIA 1
Clay, Outdoors - Buenos Aires, Argentina
World No. 10 Juan Martin del Potro hit 31 winners and 10 aces past Ivo Karlovic of Croatia in a 6-2, 7-6(7), 6-1 win in two hours and 19 minutes. It levelled the score line for Argentina at 1-1 in Buenos Aires.
Earlier in the day, Marin Cilic rallied from a two-sets-to-one deficit to outlast David Nalbandian 5-7, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6(2), 6-3 in five hours and nine minutes to give Croatia the first point. Cilic converted the lone break of serve in the final set to secure his first victory over the Argentine in five meetings.
CZECH REPUBLIC 1, SERBIA 1
Clay, Indoors - Prague, Czech Republic
World No. 8 Janko Tipsarevic dug deep for Serbia to level the score at 1-1 after day one in Prague with a battling 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, 4-6, 9-7 victory over veteran Czech Radek Stepanek in five hours and seven minutes. Tipsarevic saved three match points to notch his 32nd singles win in 44 rubbers.
World No. 7 Tomas Berdych quickly put the Czech Republic on the scoreboard with a 6-2, 6-1, 6-2 victory over Serbia's Viktor Troicki in the opening singles rubber. Berdych hit 44 winners to 30 unforced errors and converted seven service breaks to seal the win in one hour and 49 minutes.
- Federer To Join Wawrinka In Davis Cup Quarters
- Fognini Leads Italian Triumph; Murray Sends Britain To QFs
- Berdych Leads Czechs Into Davis Cup QFs; Nishikori, Golubev Star
- Germany Meets France In Davis Cup QFs; U.S. Stays Alive
- Switzerland Triumphs; Czech Republic, Japan, Kazakhstan On The Brink
- Great Britain, France And Germany Sprint To Early Leads After Day One