BRD NASTASE TIRAC TROPHY 2012
Starace Beats Ninth Seed Chardy
by ATP Staff|
Italian Potito Starace beat ninth seed Jeremy Chardy of France 6-3, 6-0 on Monday at the BRD Nastase Tiriac Trophy in Bucharest. Starace dropped 12 points on his serve for victory in 65 minutes. It ended a three-match losing streak against Chardy, this year's VTR Open semi-finalist (l. to Monaco).
"I played very well today," said Starace. "I was solid. I'm really happy about this win since Chardy is a tough player and I never beat him before. I like the conditions here.
"The court and the ball is pretty fast. One of my cousins lives here and therefore I always like coming back to Bucharest. I have to go step-by-step but I hope to go far this week."
Belgian Xavier Malisse will face defending champion and No. 2 seed Florian Mayer of Germany in the second round after dismissing 20-year-old Grigor Dimitrov 6-2, 6-4. Malisse, 31, is making his Bucharest debut this week.
German Matthias Bachinger defeated Italian Filippo Volandri for the second time this month, rallying for a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 win in one hour and 52 minutes. The pair had faced off two weeks ago in the first round of the Grand Prix Hassan II.
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Berdych, Raonic Headline Clay Contests
- Dimitrov Clinches Bucharest Crown; Second Title Of 2014
- Tecau Clinches Bucharest Treble With Rojer; Huta Galung/Robert Win In Barcelona
- Dimitrov To Play Defending Champion Rosol For Bucharest Crown
- Dimitrov Remains On Course In Bucharest; Monfils Saves Six M.P.
- Monfils Opens Campaign; Haase Sets Istomin Clash