ATP WORLD TOUR 2012 - WEEK 18
Top Duos Advance In Munich
by ATP Staff|
Top seeds Frantisek Cermak and Filip Polasek opened their BMW Open campaign with a 6-2, 3-6, 10-4 victory over Mikhail Kukushkin and Sergiy Stakhovsky on Monday in Munich. The Czech/Slovak duo countered losing their own serve three times by converting four of their seven break point chances and clinched victory in the Match Tie-break in 66 minutes.
Cermak and Polasek, finalists in Auckland at the start of the season (l. to Marach/Peya), improved to a 9-9 match record in 2012. They currently lie in 15th position in the ATP Doubles Team Rankings Race To London.
First-time pairing Michael Kohlmann and Jamie Murray battled for a 6-7(7), 6-2, 11-9 win over this year’s Zagreb champions Marcos Baghdatis and Mikhail Youzhny. The German/British tandem did not lose serve in the 98-minute match.
At the Estoril Open, also an ATP World Tour 250 clay-court tennis tournament, fourth seeds Julian Knowle and David Marrero reached the quarter-finals with a hard-fought 6-2, 3-6, 11-9 win over Italians Flavio Cipolla and Paolo Lorenzi.
Knowle of Austria and Spain’s Marrero are playing just their second tournament together, following a runner-up showing in Bucharest last year (l. to Bracciali/Starace). Marrero captured the 2010 title with Spanish compatriot Marc Lopez.
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel
- Dodig/Melo & Granollers/Lopez Qualify For Final Showdown