ESTORIL OPEN 2012
Former Finalist Gasquet Reaches QFs; Wawrinka Wins On Tournament Debut
by ATP Staff|
Gasquet, who dropped 12 of his service points and hit three aces in the 67-minute encounter, is through to his fifth ATP World Tour quarter-final of the season. The 25-year-old Frenchman finished runner-up to Novak Djokovic in 2007, his last appearance at the ATP World Tour 250 tournament.
Wawrinka won 68 per cent of his service points and hit six aces to reach his fifth ATP World Tour quarter-final (or better) in 2012. "I know I can win the title, but it is going to be very tough as there are plenty of good clay-courters at this tournament," said Wawrinka.
His best results - two semi-final exits - through the first four months of the season have come on red dirt at the Copa Claro in Buenos Aires (l. to Almagro) and the Abierto Mexicano Telcel in Acapulco (l. to Verdasco).
Play at the Estadio Nacional was set to begin at 11 a.m., but action did not begin until 1:14 p.m. on Centralito, the tournament's second show court. Rain clouds then threatened to suspend matches throughout the day.
- Wawrinka Beats Ferrer For Portugal Open Crown
- Gonzalez/Lipsky Win First Trophy As Fathers
- Ferrer To Face Wawrinka For Crown; Oeiras Pays Tribute To Brad Drewett
- Ferrer Remains On Course For Oeiras Title; Wawrinka Into SFs For Second Straight Year
- Wawrinka Battles To Win; Elias Breaks New Ground
- Robredo Celebrates 31st Birthday With Fans