ESTORIL OPEN 2012
Wawrinka, Machado Tested By Olympic Sailors In Estoril
by ATP Staff|
Stanislas Wawrinka and Rui Machado took part in a regatta with members of Portugal's Olympic sailing team on Sunday ahead of the start of the Estoril Open.
Wawrinka and Machado joined WTA players, Anabel Medina Garrigues and Jarmila Gajdosova at Cascais Marina, close to the venue of the combined ATP World Tour 250 and WTA International Series tennis tournaments.
They sailed with three-time Olympian and 2003 World sailing champion Gustavo Lima, Olympic sailor Francisco Andrade, Sara Carmo, Rita Gonçalves, Diana Neves and Mariana Lobato.
"It was an amazing experience," said Wawrinka. "It is my first visit here and I'm really happy to take part, as it was great, a lot of fun. It was tough being on the boat, but I really enjoyed it."
At the Estoril Open, third seed Wawrinka is scheduled to meet either Spaniard Daniel Gimeno-Traver or a qualifier in the second round. Machado has an all-Portuguese first-round match against Pedro Sousa. Medina Garrigues won the singles and doubles titles at the Estoril Open in 2011.
- Bolelli/Fognini Give Italy Lifeline; Switzerland Leads 2-1
- Djokovic-Murray On US Open QF Collision Course; Ferrer In Federer's Half
- Wawrinka Takes On Coach Norman At Ping Pong
- Wawrinka In Driver's Seat For Men's Journal Feature
- Isner Wins Epic Tie-break; Wawrinka Advances
- Wawrinka, Nishikori Reach Wimbledon Second Round