ESTORIL OPEN 2012
Two-Time Estoril Champion Montanes Tops Ebden
by ATP Staff|
Eighth-seeded Italian Flavio Cipolla beat Diego Junquiera of Argentina 6-4, 6-4 in 80 minutes. He will play the winner of an all-qualifier first-round tie, Daniel Munoz-De La Nava, who overcame Javier Marti 7-5, 6-3 in one hour and 37 minutes.
German Bjorn Phau, the oldest player in the draw at 32, beat 2010 runner-up Frederico Gil 6-4, 6-2 in 81 minutes on Central Court. Phau converted five of seven break point opportunities in the pair's first tour-level meeting and goes onto meet fourth seed Albert Ramos of Spain.
Despite hitting eight double faults, Portuguese No. 1 Rui Machado improved to 1-10 on the year by beating wild card Pedro Sousa 6-7(3), 6-1, 6-2 in just over two hours. World No. 90 Machado, who reached the 2010 quarter-finals (l. to Gil), goes onto meet top seed and defending champion Juan Martin del Potro.
World No. 188 Cervantes converted four of his five break point opportunities to defeat No. 78-ranked Igor Andreev 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in one hour and 52 minutes. It was his first ATP World Tour-level match win.
World No. 232 Navarro recorded his first tour-level match win in 14 months (at the 2011 Abierto Mexicano Telcel in Acapulco). The 30-year-old Spaniard beat No. 107-ranked Daniel Gimeno-Traver 7-6(5), 6-2 in 89 minutes.
- Wawrinka Beats Ferrer For Portugal Open Crown
- Gonzalez/Lipsky Win First Trophy As Fathers
- Ferrer To Face Wawrinka For Crown; Oeiras Pays Tribute To Brad Drewett
- Ferrer Remains On Course For Oeiras Title; Wawrinka Into SFs For Second Straight Year
- Wawrinka Battles To Win; Elias Breaks New Ground
- Robredo Celebrates 31st Birthday With Fans