MUTUA MADRID OPEN 2012
Qureshi/Rojer Save 5 M.P. To Upset Bryans In Epic Win
by ATP Staff|
Qureshi and Rojer first had two match point opportunities at 9-7 in the Match tie-break, then at 12-11 and 16-15 before converting their fifth chance at 17-16. Last week's Estoril Open champions saved match points at 9-10, 10-11, 12-13, 13-14 and 14-15.
In January, the Bryans beat Qureshi and Rojer 7-5, 6-4 at the Apia International Sydney. Qureshi and Rojer are now 11-9 on the season and next play seventh-seeded Indians Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna in the quarter-finals. Qureshi played with Bopanna until the end of the 2011 season.
They will go onto meet sixth seeds Robert Lindstedt and Horia Tecau, who beat Frantisek Cermak and Filip Polasek 4-6, 7-6(7), 10-7 in one hour and 53 minutes. The two-time Wimbledon finalists saved seven of nine break points and hit five aces.
Marin Cilic and Marcelo Melo also knocked out a seeded team, No. 8 seeds Jurgen Melzer and Philipp Petzschner, 7-6(1), 6-3 in 71 minutes. The Croatian-Brazilian team next play fourth-seeded Poles Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski.
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel
- Dodig/Melo & Granollers/Lopez Qualify For Final Showdown