Weekly Snapshot: Big 3 To Make Blue Court Debut In Madrid
by Matt Fitzgerald|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with our Weekly Snapshot, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who’s Playing This Week?
There is one ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event in Madrid.
Mutua Madrid Open: World No. 1 and defending champion Novak Djokovic headlines the fourth ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament of the season that features a new blue clay surface. Djokovic is joined by second-ranked Rafael Nadal (2005, 2010 champion) and third-ranked Roger Federer (2006, 2009 champion).
Facebook | Twitter | Website
Juan Martin del Potro 11 (+1 spot)
Gilles Simon 12 (-1 spot)
Philipp Kohlschreiber 25 (+9 spots)
Andreas Seppi 32 (+14 spots)
Robin Soderling 46 (-14 spots)
Benoit Paire 67 (+29 spots)
Thomaz Bellucci 69 (-29 spots)
Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo 73 (+24 spots)
Sergiy Stakhovsky 82 (-14 spots)
Lukas Rosol 93 (-14 spots)
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 94 (-19 spots)
Tommy Haas 109 (+25 spots)
Player To Watch: Novak Djokovic
The Serb is aiming to become the first player to win back-to-back titles in Madrid. Djokovic defeated Rafael Nadal in last year’s final to notch his first win against the Spaniard on clay. This season, the 24 year old outlasted Nadal in the longest Grand Slam final in history at the Australian Open to collect his fifth major title. He also retained his trophy at the Sony Open Tennis, before falling to Nadal in the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters title match. Djokovic will open his title defence against Daniel Gimeno-Traver or Victor Hanescu.
WEEK IN REVIEW
Top Player Tweets
Most Popular Facebook Post on Facebook.com/ATPWorldTour
In Case You Missed It…
Estoril: Top seed Juan Martin del Potro successfully defended his Estoril Open crown, easing past two-time finalist Richard Gasquet 6-4, 6-2.
Del Potro: “My Best Match Of The Week”
Defending His Honour
Juan Martin del Potro’s repeat performance in Estoril was the 10th time a player on the ATP World Tour retained a title this season. See the other title defences in the chart below...
|Novak Djokovic||Australian Open|
|Nicolas Almagro||Sao Paulo|
|Milos Raonic||San Jose|
|Juan Martin del Potro||Estoril|
• Mats Wilander has racked up more than 3,000 miles on his trusty west coast Winnebago and east coast RV, making stops all across the United States for Wilander on Wheels after receiving the all clear from his recovery from a kidney laceration.
Wilander: “The Wheels Are Rolling”
• Sam Querrey has committed to play the Campbell’s Hall Of Fame Tennis Championships in Newport.
Querrey To Make Fourth Appearance
• After a three month search, thirty youngsters from around the country have been selected to be Ball Kids at this year’s Barclays ATP World Tour Finals held at The O2, London from 5-12 November.
Rusedski: “The Standard Today Is Excellent”
Tip Of The Week
Each week, we’ll provide you with a tip on how to get the most out of ATPWorldTour.com. This week, we’ll show you how to create a new Draw Challenge group.
1. On the navigation bar, hover over the ‘Fans’ tab, and click ‘Draw Challenge’ from the dropdown menu. A new window will open.
2. After logging in, click the ‘Groups’ tab.
3. Find the ‘create a new group’ box and a screen to enter your desired information will appear, with an option to make the group public or private.
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign up here!
Think you have the winning bracket in Madrid?
Track Your Picks!