INTERNAZIONALI BNL D'ITALIA 2012
Kubot/Tipsarevic Continue Run To Rome Final
by ATP Staff|
The Polish/Serbian duo, playing just their second tournament together, saved nine of the 11 break points they faced, and converted five service breaks against last week’s Mutua Madrid Open finalists to advance in 81 minutes.
Kubot and Tipsarevic have knocked out three seeded pairs en route to Sunday’s title match, upsetting fifth-seeded Australian Open champions Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek in the second round, and No. 2 seeds Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan in the quarter-finals.
Both are through to their first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 doubles final. Kubot had lost in the semi-finals four straight times with former partner Oliver Marach, while Tipsarevic dropped his lone previous final four appearance in Miami last year, also with Marach.
Granollers and Lopez hit 83 per cent of their first serves in play, winning 76 per cent of those points to claim victory in 65 minutes.
Lopez is bidding to win his third ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title, after triumphing for the second time with Rafael Nadal at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells in March. Granollers will contest his second Masters 1000 final, having finished runner-up at the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris three years ago with Tommy Robredo. The two have a 0-4 final record together.
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel
- Dodig/Melo & Granollers/Lopez Qualify For Final Showdown