INTERNAZIONALI BNL D'ITALIA 2012
Granollers/Lopez Win First Team Title
by ATP Staff|
Spaniards Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez captured their first ATP World Tour doubles team title on Sunday at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia as they defeated Lukasz Kubot and Janko Tipsarevic 6-3, 6-2 in Rome.
In an all-unseeded final, Granollers and Lopez saved all nine break points they faced and converted three of their six opportunities to claim victory in 80 minutes.
"To win the doubles with Marc is very special," said Granollers. "He’s one of my best friends so to win with him is very nice. This year, with Marc, I think we are playing very good. We are very confident now, we are playing very good."
Granollers and Lopez had lost their four previous finals together, including on clay this year in Acapulco (l. to Marrero/Verdasco) and Barcelona (l. to Fyrstenberg/Matkowski).
The 26-year-old Granollers captured his seventh ATP World Tour doubles crown and first at ATP World Tour Masters 1000 level. Lopez, 29, also won his seventh trophy and his third Masters 1000 title after two victories in Indian Wells with Rafael Nadal.
- Peya/Soares, Marrero/Verdasco Qualify For SFs From Group B
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel