GERRY WEBER OPEN 2012
Federer Gets His Own Allee In Halle
by ATP Staff|
Roger Federer has 16 Grand Slam trophies, 19 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles, an Olympic gold medal and now, his own street. Officials in Halle, Germany, have paid tribute to Federer by creating ‘Roger-Federer-Allee’.
Halle is host to the Gerry Weber Open, an event Federer has won five times. The street leads to the main stadium, Weststrasse, which has crowned champions including Federer, Lleyton Hewitt, Tommy Haas and Tomas Berdych in recent years. When informed about the gesture, Federer said it was “an amazing honour” and that he was “extremely humbled”.
The sign will be erected before this year's Gerry Weber Open begins on 11 June.
Federer most recently lifted the Halle trophy in 2008, when he defeated Philipp Kohlschreiber. The 30-year-old Federer has a 36-4 event record, winning 29 of his past 30 matches.
- Federer Races To 47-Minute Win; Dimitrov Battles Past Teenager
- "Surprised" Federer Eager To Exploit No. 1 Chance
- By The Numbers: Federer Indoors, Karlovic Aces & More
- Federer, Nadal Headline In Basel; Ferrer Leads Valencia Field
- Federer Challenges Djokovic In No. 1 Battle
- Brain Game: Federer's Commitment To Net Attack Pays Dividends