ATP WORLD TOUR 2012 - WEEK 24
Nadal Teams With Granollers For Grass-Court Win; Hewitt/Roddick Join Forces
by ATP Staff|
Rafael Nadal teamed with fellow Spaniard Marcel Granollers for a 5-7, 6-2, 10-8 victory over Michal Mertinak and Viktor Troicki on his transition from clay to grass, Wednesday at the Gerry Weber Open.
The seven-time Roland Garros champion said of his decision to play doubles, “The real thing for me is more preparation for the singles [match] tomorrow, to compete, to spend time on the court, to serve a bit, to adapt to the conditions on grass. That’s probably going to help.”
Top seeds Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi and Jean-Julien Rojer, semi-finalists last week in Paris, saved all eight break points faced on serve in a 7-6(7), 6-7(1), 10-7 win over Johan Brunstrom and Philipp Marx.
At the AEGON Championships, Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick atoned for their losses in their singles openers by edging Yen-Hsun Lu and Sam Querrey 7-6(5), 7-6(3) in their first-round doubles match. Hewitt and Roddick are each four-time singles champions at the Queen's Club, while Querrey won the title in 2010.
In other first-round matches Wednesday, Israelis Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram defeated Croatians Marin Cilic and Lovro Zovko 6-2, 7-6(5), while Marcos Baghdatis and Jamie Murray beat Simone Bolelli and Gilles Muller 7-6(5), 6-4.
- Ross Hutchins Named Queen's Tournament Director
- Shanghai, Dubai & London-Queen's Voted 2013 ATP World Tour Tournaments Of The Year
- Davydenko/Istomin Win Montpellier Doubles Title
- Germany Meets France In Davis Cup QFs; U.S. Stays Alive
- Switzerland Triumphs; Czech Republic, Japan, Kazakhstan On The Brink
- Paes/Stepanek Reach Quarter-finals