UNICEF OPEN 2012
Dutch Wild Card Sijsling Ousts Nieminen
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
by ATP Staff|
Dutch wild card Igor Sijsling delighted local support at the UNICEF Open on Sunday as he ousted sixth seed Jarkko Nieminen 6-2, 6-4 in the first round of the ATP World Tour 250 grass-court tennis tournament in ‘s-Hertogenbosch.
The 24-year-old Sijsling, who is at a career-high World No. 112 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings, recorded his first tour-level win of the season. The Amsterdam native lost just 10 points on serve and converted all three of his break point opportunities to defeat Nieminen in 54 minutes.
World No. 45 Nieminen dropped to a 16-14 match record on the season, highlighted by winning his second ATP World Tour title at the Apia International Sydney (d. Benneteau).
Fifth seed Santiago Giraldo was also beaten in the first round, falling to Luxembourg’s Gilles Muller 7-6(5), 6-7(4), 6-3 in two hours and 10 minutes. World No. 53 Muller fired 16 aces and did not face a break point in the pair’s first meeting. It is the first time in five attempts that he has advanced past the first round in ‘s-Hertogenbosch.
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: The Big Four Fight For Grass Glory
- First Time Winner Spotlight: Roberto Bautista Agut
- Bautista Agut Captures Maiden Title In Den Bosch
- Rojer/Tecau Take Fourth Title At Topshelf Open
- Becker Closes On Second 's-Hertogenbosch Title
- Verdasco, Lopez To Continue Battle; Sousa, Becker Reach 's-Hertogenbosch SFs