THE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2012
Federer Wins 79-Minute Wimbledon Opener
by ATP Staff|
Six-time former champion and third seed Roger Federer required just 79 minutes to beat Albert Ramos of Spain 6-1, 6-1, 6-1 at The Championships on Monday.
Federer improved to 60-7 lifetime at the All England Club, Wimbledon, and to a 40-6 match record on the season. The Swiss hit nine aces and 31 winners. He will next play Italian Fabio Fognini, who was a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5 winner over Michael Llodra of France.
"I was happy with the way things progressed during the match," admitted Federer. "I was able to return well, almost breaking him every single time. It was a good match for me, obviously. I felt very good out there today."
Tipsarevic's best result at the major championship is fourth round exits in 2007 (l. to Ferrer) and 2008 (l. to Schuettler). He faces American Ryan Sweeting in the second round.
- Seppi Stuns Federer For Biggest Win
- Federer: 'I Couldn't Really Get The Whole Game Flowing'
- Federer: "I Never Had This Pain Before"
- Federer "Happy" As He Advances To Australian Open Second Round
- Federer Opens Quest For Fifth Australian Open Crown
- Federer Ahead Of Australian Open: "I Feel I'm Playing Very Well"