THE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2012
Federer Wins 79-Minute Wimbledon Opener
by ATP Staff|
Six-time former champion and third seed Roger Federer required just 79 minutes to beat Albert Ramos of Spain 6-1, 6-1, 6-1 at The Championships on Monday.
Federer improved to 60-7 lifetime at the All England Club, Wimbledon, and to a 40-6 match record on the season. The Swiss hit nine aces and 31 winners. He will next play Italian Fabio Fognini, who was a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5 winner over Michael Llodra of France.
"I was happy with the way things progressed during the match," admitted Federer. "I was able to return well, almost breaking him every single time. It was a good match for me, obviously. I felt very good out there today."
Tipsarevic's best result at the major championship is fourth round exits in 2007 (l. to Ferrer) and 2008 (l. to Schuettler). He faces American Ryan Sweeting in the second round.
- Federer Extends Winning Streak; Djokovic Holds Off Monfils
- Nishikori, Raonic Stretch London Bids In Paris
- Djokovic, Federer Continue Fight For Year-End No. 1; London Berths Up For Grabs
- Federer Captures Sixth Basel Crown, Continues No. 1 Quest
- Federer Clips Karlovic For 11th Basel Final Berth
- Djokovic, Federer Resume Battle For Year-End No. 1 In Paris; Countdown To London