THE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2012
Federer Wins 79-Minute Wimbledon Opener
by ATP Staff|
Six-time former champion and third seed Roger Federer required just 79 minutes to beat Albert Ramos of Spain 6-1, 6-1, 6-1 at The Championships on Monday.
Federer improved to 60-7 lifetime at the All England Club, Wimbledon, and to a 40-6 match record on the season. The Swiss hit nine aces and 31 winners. He will next play Italian Fabio Fognini, who was a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5 winner over Michael Llodra of France.
"I was happy with the way things progressed during the match," admitted Federer. "I was able to return well, almost breaking him every single time. It was a good match for me, obviously. I felt very good out there today."
Tipsarevic's best result at the major championship is fourth round exits in 2007 (l. to Ferrer) and 2008 (l. to Schuettler). He faces American Ryan Sweeting in the second round.
- Federer Celebrates 2 Million Followers With #AskRF
- Federer, Tiger Woods Are Most Financially Valuable Athletes
- Federer Meets Lindsey Vonn On 'Top Of Europe' In Lindt Challenge
- Djokovic Kept Busy On Media Tour; Returns To London In November
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner Top Seed In Newport
- Djokovic Returns To No. 1 With Wimbledon Victory