THE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2012
Murray Starts Campaign With Davydenko Win; Del Potro Tops Haase
by ATP Staff|
Murray improved to 21-6 in matches on Centre Court, at the All England Club, after he recorded his third straight win (6-4 lifetime) over 31-year-old Davydenko, who committed 18 unforced errors. Davydenko has won just one of his past 11 matches against Top 5 opposition.
"It was a good start, and I knew obviously when I drew him I was going to need to start the tournament well, playing good tennis," said Murray. "I struck the ball well. It's been a long couple of weeks since Queen's. Once I got ahead, I wanted to make sure I didn't let him back in. He's very, very dangerous. He's a very good returner as well."
Murray, who lost in the AEGON Championships second round (l. to Mahut) two weeks ago, broke serve six times from 11 opportunities, hitting 10 aces and 27 winners. He now has a 27-9 match record on the season. Murray has reached the Wimbledon semi-finals for the past three years.
In fading light, ninth seed Juan Martin del Potro completed a 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(3), 7-5 win over Dutchman Robin Haase in two hours and 50 minutes. Del Potro, making his fifth appearance at Wimbledon, hit 16 aces and 58 winners to improve to a 38-9 record on the season.
- Raonic Masters Murray; Dolgopolov Suffers No Letdown
- Murray Survives Early Test For 300th Hard Court Victory
- Djokovic And Murray Look To Get Back On Track In Indian Wells
- Murray, Pospisil, Lopez Have Fun At Acapulco Players' Party
- FedEx ATP Performance Zone: Current Tie-Break Records
- Cilic Extends Winning Streak, Beats Murray In Rotterdam