THE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2012
Nadal Recovers From Slow Start
by ATP Staff|
Second seed Rafael Nadal, the 2008 and 2010 Wimbledon champion, recorded his 50th grass-court match win after overcoming a slow start at The Championships on Tuesday to beat Thomaz Bellucci 7-6(0), 6-2, 6-3 on Centre Court.
Nadal, who recovered from 0-4 deficit in the first set, hit six aces and 35 winners, converting six of nine break point opportunities in two hours and 15 minutes. The Spaniard improved to 69-6 against fellow left-handers and to 36-6 at Wimbledon.
“I think today I didn't play my best match,” admitted Nadal. “I think especially in the first set, I played [a] little bit too nervous - not knowing exactly what to do. My movement was a little bit in [a] defensive way, [but] not in aggressive way. [In] the second and third sets I played better, even if I had a big mistake in the third at 2-0, 30/0. I felt in that moment I started to hit better the forehand. That's the most important thing for me.”
Philipp Kohlschreiber, the No. 27 seed, won an all-German battle against Tommy Haas to avenge his Gerry Weber Open semi-final loss 11 days ago. Kohlschreiber triumphed 3-6, 7-6(8), 6-7(5), 7-6(1), 6-2 and goes onto face Tunisian Malek Jaziri, a 4-6, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 9-7 victor over Jurgen Zopp of Estonia.
- Djokovic Kept Busy On Media Tour; Returns To London In November
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner Top Seed In Newport
- Djokovic Returns To No. 1 With Wimbledon Victory
- Resilience A Microcosm Of Federer’s Journey
- Djokovic: “Most Special Grand Slam Final I’ve Played”
- Brain Game: Djokovic's Backhand Key To Wimbledon Win Over Federer