ATP VEGETA CROATIA OPEN UMAG 2012
Seventh Seed Klizan Cruises In Umag Opener
by ATP Staff|
Seventh seed Martin Klizan notched his 10th tour-level win as he defeated Slovenian wild card Aljaz Bedene 6-2, 6-2 on Monday at the ATP Vegeta Croatia Open Umag. The Slovakian dropped serve once and capitalised on five of his nine break points.
Klizan, 22, entered this ATP World Tour 250 clay-court tournament at a career-high No. 60 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings following a 11-9 fifth-set triumph over Juan Ignacio Chela on his Wimbledon debut. He has won three clay-court titles on the ATP Challenger Tour this season.
He will look to reach his first ATP World Tour quarter-final when he next plays German Matthias Bachinger, who prevailed against Portugal’s Joao Souza 6-7(5), 6-1, 7-6(6) after two hours and 41 minutes.
Russian wild card Andrey Kuznetsov also went the distance in his first-round match, closing out a 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(5) victory over Spaniard Daniel Munoz-De La Nava in just under three hours. Both players broke serve four times, though Kuznetsov created 21 chances to his opponent’s six.
- Cuevas Topples Robredo For Umag Crown
- Robredo Aims To Retain Umag Crown; Cuevas Tops Fognini, Advances To Final
- First Titles For Cermak/Rosol, Begemann/Haase
- Umag Semi-final Saturday Washed Out
- Cilic Happy At Home, Reaches Umag SFs; Coric Tests Fognini
- Coric, 17, Reaches First QF In Umag, Faces Fognini Next