ATP WORLD TOUR 2012 - WEEK 30
Bemelmans/Malisse Top Brits In Los Angeles Doubles Final
by ATP Staff|
Belgian Xavier Malisse successfully defended his doubles title at the Farmers Classic, teaming up with countryman Ruben Bemelmans for a 7-6(5), 4-6, 10-7 victory over third-seeded Brits Jamie Delgado and Ken Skupski in Los Angeles.
Malisse had won the doubles title at this ATP World Tour 250 tournament last year with Bahamian Mark Knowles, and was playing with Bemelmans for the first time in tour-level competition this week.
They dropped serve once and were unable to capitalise on their three break opportunities against the Brits in the Sunday afternoon final, but prevailed in the Match Tie-break after one hour and 31 minutes.
“I think we played well,” said Malisse. “We served really well. I think we never got into big trouble on our serves. I didn’t put many returns in play today, but Ruben played well and had great shots on the important points.”
Bemelmans, 24, was making his debut appearance in an ATP World Tour final while the 32-year-old Malisse improved to an 8-4 record in title matches. He was a runner-up last week at the BB&T Atlanta Open (w/Russell).
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel
- Dodig/Melo & Granollers/Lopez Qualify For Final Showdown