BET-AT-HOME CUP KITZBÜHEL 2012
Gulbis Saves M.P. Against Kitzbühel Wild Card
by ATP Staff|
After breaking back to 4-5 in the second set, the 67th-ranked Gulbis faced match point, before winning a tight service game to level to 5-5. He went on to win 10 of the last 11 games against the Austrian to prevail in two hours and three minutes.
Gulbis improved to an 11-14 season record and is looking to win his first title since triumphing at the Farmers Classic last year in Los Angeles.
Slovakian qualifier Pavol Cervenak hit 12 doubles faults but managed to overcome World No. 90 Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo of Spain 4-6, 7-6(1), 6-3. Cervenak, who reached the MercedesCup quarter-finals at Stuttgart (l. to Monaco) two weeks ago, will next play his compatriot and fifth seed Martin Klizan.
Austrian qualifier Philipp Oswald will take on third seed Robin Haase in the second round after beating Daniel Brands of Germany 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 in one hour and 46 minutes. Oswald hit 13 aces and won 73 per cent of his service points.
In the final match of the day, Simone Bolelli defeated Horacio Zeballos 7-5, 7-5 to advance. Bolelli broke serve four times to win the pair’s first FedEx ATP Head 2 Head meeting in one hour and 44 minutes.
- Kermode Presents Top 10 Trophies In Toronto
- First-Time Winner Spotlight: David Goffin
- Goffin Wins Maiden Title In Kitzbühel
- Finns Kontinen/Nieminen Claim Kitzbühel Crown
- Thiem, Goffin Eye First ATP World Tour Title In Kitzbühel Final
- Austrian Thiem Keeps Title Hopes Alive In Kitzbühel, Plays Monaco In SFs