Nadal Chosen As Spain’s Olympic Flag Bearer
by ATP Staff|
Reigning Olympic champion Rafael Nadal has been selected to carry the flag for Spain during the opening ceremony at the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London.
The Spaniard defeated Fernando Gonzalez in the 2008 Beijing Olympics final to win the gold medal, and later joined Andre Agassi as the only men’s singles player to clinch a career Golden Slam after capturing the US Open title in 2010.
Earlier this month, it was announced that World No. 1 Novak Djokovic was chosen to be the flag bearer for Serbia. Nadal edged Djokovic in a three-set semi-final clash in Beijing, but Djokovic bounced back to beat James Blake in the bronze medal match.
Nadal is bidding to become the first two-time Olympic singles champion, male or female.
- Djokovic Could Meet Nadal In Roland Garros Semi-Finals
- Nadal Keeps His Cards Close To Chest After Roland Garros Draw
- Practising In Paris: Rafa, Roger Reflection
- Nadal Masterclass Stuns Federer, Wins 24th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Crown
- Nadal Grabs No. 4 Seed At Roland Garros
- Rafa & Roger: The Rivalry