Nadal Chosen As Spain’s Olympic Flag Bearer
by ATP Staff|
Reigning Olympic champion Rafael Nadal has been selected to carry the flag for Spain during the opening ceremony at the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London.
The Spaniard defeated Fernando Gonzalez in the 2008 Beijing Olympics final to win the gold medal, and later joined Andre Agassi as the only men’s singles player to clinch a career Golden Slam after capturing the US Open title in 2010.
Earlier this month, it was announced that World No. 1 Novak Djokovic was chosen to be the flag bearer for Serbia. Nadal edged Djokovic in a three-set semi-final clash in Beijing, but Djokovic bounced back to beat James Blake in the bronze medal match.
Nadal is bidding to become the first two-time Olympic singles champion, male or female.
- Rivalries 2014 - Djokovic vs. Nadal
- Djokovic, Federer, Nishikori, Raonic Lead Storylines As 2014 Year-End Emirates ATP Rankings Are Published
- Nadal Optimistic Ahead of 2015 Comeback
- Nadal To Miss Remainder of 2014 Season
- Nadal To Play In Rio Open In 2015
- Nadal Sweeps Into Basel QFs; Coric Records Biggest Win Of His Career