US OPEN 2012
Djokovic Wins US Open Series
New York, U.S.A.
by Press Release|
World No. 2 Novak Djokovic clinched the Emirates Airline US Open Series on Friday and will win a $1,000,000 bonus should he retain his US Open title. Djokovic’s victory was confirmed after Sam Querrey lost to Tomas Berdych in the Winston-Salem Open semi-finals. Querrey needed to capture the title to overtake Djokovic at the top of the bonus standings.
The Serbian successfully defended his Rogers Cup trophy in Toronto (d. Gasquet) and finished runner-up at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati (l. to Federer) to earn 170 points. Querrey, who has 135 points, dropped to third following John Isner’s victory over Berdych in Saturday’s Winston-Salem final.
Djokovic is the eighth different player in nine years to win the Series since Lleyton Hewitt won the inaugural edition in 2004. Andy Roddick is the only multiple champion, having finished on top in 2005 and 2006. Djokovic’s best previous finish was a runner-up effort to Mardy Fish in 2011.
2012 Emirates Airline US Open Series Bonus Challenge Standings
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Berdych Goes To Washington
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner, Youzhny, Fognini Headline
- Isner To Play Entire Emirates Airline US Open Series
- FedEx ATP Performance Zone: Hard Court Heavyweights
- Djokovic's Wedding Features In Hello! Magazine
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Ferrer Leads Hamburg Field