DAVIS CUP WORLD GROUP PLAY-OFFS 2012
Federer Looks To Keep Swiss In World Group
by ATP Staff|
World No. 1 Roger Federer will look to keep Switzerland in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group as he and his countrymen take on the Netherlands in the World Group Play-offs.
Federer, who faces Thiemo de Bakker in the opening singles rubber, will play his first match since falling in the US Open quarter-finals to Tomas Berdych. Federer discussed the challenge in switching surfaces and said he would not be looking to work on parts of his game over the weekend.
“Obviously we’ve been on faster courts for some time now,” said Federer. “Now we’re looking at a very slow clay court, outdoors, potentially in cold conditions. It’s a matter of getting through and not losing, me being the overwhelming favourite in most of the matches. That’s my focus. Right now, improving or trying out stuff is not going to be the case.”
The Swiss helped his country return to the World Group stage last year on the road against Australia, but Switzerland was defeated by the USA in a 5-0 loss at home in the first round this year. In Davis Cup competition, Federer holds records of 30-7 in singles and 11-7 in doubles.
- Fan Wins Special Federer Meeting In Dubai
- Federer Wins Seventh Dubai Crown
- Watch Dubai Hot Shot: Federer Pulverises Backhand Winner
- Brain Game: Federer Rides Hyper-Aggressive Game Plan To Victory
- Federer Surpasses 9,000 Aces Mark, Re-live Matches With Most Aces
- Djokovic & Federer To Ratchet Up Rivalry In Dubai Final